I forgot to talk about my cool experience going to the Ecumenical Christian mass on Sunday. Mike and I went and it was a very interesting experience. It was held in the faculty apartments which are about 10 minutes away from campus by bus, which picked us up before mass. The mass was a little long (2 hrs) but it was said by a protestant preacher Rev. Karen Smith. It was my first mass with a woman presiding. Still kinda weird in my mind. But the mass was good, in addition to me and mike, there were two other exchange students. The best part of the experience though was after mass there is a large potluck dinner in which everyone brings a variety of homemade food. At times the mass was a little preachy, standing up singing songs such as "hey to the carpenter," and I am reading Power, Faith, and Fantasy by Michael Ogren and the whole experience brought into mind the American missionaries preaching in Palestine in the 19th century. Overall though, a very cool experience.
The reason I brought this up though is because one of the exchange students who came with us to mass withdrew from AUI yesterday and left this morning, so it was kinda sad. He was really quiet, but we were talking with him at mass and everything seemed fine. But then yesterday, I saw him in the lounge for 38 (the only place in a dorm where guys and girls can hang out) and he had all his bags packed and was getting a grande taxi to rabat and then leaving this morning. It was really sad because I was talking with him and he said he just didn't fit in, and it didnt help that he didnt speak any of the languages here. The moroccans were trying to talk him into staying, but he had already bought the ticket and was going home. I personally feel like I have gotten over that initial hump of being lonely in a new, foreign country, mostly though because I am able to communicate in fusha and quickly learning darija. All of the moroccans are very helpful in teaching me new words and are always surprised when I actually start a small basic conversation in darija. I definitely feel like I am integrating into the University, but classes have not gotten any harder. For my history of the arab world, I had 15 pages in a book to read for the WEEK....the week. During the day, I have become an expert at Bubble spinner (http://www.addictinggames.com/bubblespinner.html) check it out because it will truly make your mind spin (pun intended). Except for that, I have just been reading Power, Faith, and Fantasy and learning darija. The only actual thing I am missing right now is TV, but I guess I can live without TV for a couple months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
With your extra time, you could learn additional Darija words. Are you using note cards to learn new words each day? Do they teach by groupings of similar words ( ie all food items) or by a conversational approach? How do you say in Darija "hello" and "thank you"?
ReplyDeleteWe are learning by a conversational approach right now, the hello is the same as fusha (regular) and the thank is has the same first word but a different second word
ReplyDeleteHave you gone to the athletic complex? Maybe you can practice swimming?!
ReplyDeleteI tried the bubble spinning game. My first score was 8. The game appears harder then it initially looks.
ReplyDeleteyou have to match up three balls
ReplyDelete